Wednesday 6 February 2013

Time to Kick Start 2013


2012 was a great and extremely busy year for me and the whole Egan family, and friends who helped us. Fortunately that hard work has started to pay off as we recently announced my signing with team MWR Kawasaki to race in the 2013 British National Superstock 1000 Championship on a Kawasaki ZX10-R race machine.

I've had a great time back home in South Africa, also jam packed with very little free time to just relax - but that's how I like it! After landing home in Durban at the end of November, I had a big welcome home party waiting for me, followed by a mini holiday to Cape Town with some racing thrown in, New years spent on the beautiful, rural beaches in neighboring country, Mozambique, and a whole lot of braais in between! The new year arrived and that's when we put pen to paper with Mark Webster of MWR Kawasaki, and continued the ever lasting hunt for sponsors. We kicked off our new signing with a breakfast run to East Coast Kawasaki - one of the biggest Kawasaki dealerships in South Africa, speaking about our 2012 season and the challenges as well as our upcoming year.

We then headed to Zwartkops raceway for the Passion of Speed International event where classic racers and their bikes from all over the world get back on track in a Festival of Speed. I was lucky enough to get to ride one of the beauties as Mac Mackenzie let me scrape some knee on his gorgeous RGB Triumph. It's a race-framed, mag wheeled racer powered by a '72 Triumph Bonneville 880cc twin cylinder race engine, complete with gear lever on the right hand side of the bike - not where I grew up having it! One of only two in existence, I was careful to keep full concentration when riding it! One of the highlights being chasing down legends like Mick Grant on his Suzuki RG500 Grand Prix bike with Jim Redman in hot pursuit!

My training has been in full swing and I am loving my time home in the beautiful South African summer, but I already can't wait much longer to get back to the UK and meet my new team, and get on track with my new ZX10-R!

Here's to a great year ahead with plenty more blogging to come!

Cheers,
James











 

No comments:

Post a Comment